Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Moggysmekongmadness

All content on this blog remain the property of moggysmekongmadness. Where photos are not taken by the author, all efforts to credit photographer have been made. Kindly refrain from reproducing or scrapping.

Thursday, March 14, 2013

My Take on the Wet Season

I was asked recently (Hi Mrs McApple!) why is it that I had not done any posts on the wet season in Saigon.  To be honest, I did not even realise that I hadn't!  I guess looking back it is a bit of a glaring omission on something that really is very much a part of our lives for a large part of the year.  First.  A confession.  I hate the wet season.  There, I said it.  I can't stand it.  It messes with my hair, always happens at school pickup time (2.30pm) and oft times makes me a little gloomy.  Having said that, I would have to say that a great many people LOVE the wet season.  Don't get me wrong, it does have some fabulous traits like the cracking storms that sweep across the city sky, but for me it's not my favourite season in Saigon.  Having thought about why I had not posted about it before I came to the conclusion that I am very much like the rest of the residents in Vietnam, you just kind of ignore it and get on with things.  

The kids first wet season nearly 3 years ago.


As the first drops sizzle on the road it can become very difficult to find a taxi

 One of the main reasons I don't like it is that it seems to go on forever.  In the build up which starts about May from memory, the heat becomes oppressive.  It is crazy hot.  It's almost a blessed relief when the heavens finally open and things cool a little immediately.  What they say it true, it only rains for a small part of the day, sometimes once in the afternoon and then again later in the evening.  The exception to this is if there is a typhoon off the coast somewhere.  Although it does not happen often, this is when the rain will set in for a few days.


 I do love to sit and watch the storm clouds gather.  Sometimes I will watch and wait and they just roll on by, not spilling a drop.  Rather anticlimactic of them!  Sometimes it will be bucketing down in the centre of town and Nick will call and say "how about that storm" and just a few blocks away where I am...dry as a bone.  Very bizarre.

Other times...look out!  When the heavens open it is a spectacular sight.  The first few drops see motorbikes pull over to the side of the road and ponchos pulled from under their seats.  Once donned, they are off again, barely missing a beat.  When you see the ponchos come out, it's a pretty good indication a big one is on the way.  The streets can go from bone dry to "I need a boat" in a few minutes.  Seriously.  It can be spectacular.  The noise is almost deafening, especially if you are inside somewhere like Ben Thanh market.




 The wet season should not stop you from travelling though.  This was Ho Tram a few years ago.  It's actually quite nice to have a little siesta in the afternoon and we love to be in the swimming pool in the rain to (as long as there is no lightening!)

They have a few wet seasons under their belt now.  It does not faze them at all.



I remember this day!  I got stuck in a shoe shop...whats a girl to do?  Why buy shoes of course!


We see mess....they see fun!  This is out at RMIT where Nick plays AFL Footy (go Swannies).  I have given up trying to keep them clean.  Best just bring a change of clothes and let them have fun.



So in summary, how bad is it?  I guess really not that bad at all.  Everyone has their own reasons for liking or disliking the wet.  I guess the main thing is, there is nothing to worry about.  Life goes on with minor adjustments.  Sometimes back up plans need to be put in place re outdoor venues or parties but other than that, it's just all part of life here. I suppose I should say that I don't really "hate" the wet season, I just prefer the blue skies and sunshine of the dry.  The buildup will begin soon and we will say goodbye to these fabulous clear days.   It seems to me that the dry is getting shorter and the wet longer each year.  Last year it rained until December!  I don't really have any "survival" tips other than if you are out, try to grab a cab just before the rain starts.  I also don't use Xe Om's in the rain.  Ridiculously uncomfortable being shoved under the back of a dirty raincoat and very dangerous.  Maybe I should look at things a little differently this wet, my last.  Take a leaf out of the kids book.  Embrace it rather than fight it.  What is it that they say?  "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain".  

9 comments:

  1. I love the wet season here, the way the heat builds up until it's almost unbearable and then the thunder rolls in and the rain cools everything down. I just make sure I have a spare pair of flip flops in my bike so i can change into them when driving - can't get my good heels wet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big fan of rain, but "I need a boat" photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last time we were there a huge thunderstorm broke when I was in Ben Thanh market. The enormous sound of the thunder overhead echoing through the market was something else!

    Unfortunately we got rained in for a couple of days in Nha Trang (due to a typhoon) when we were supposed to be heading home to Sydney. We had to take a chance on the third day, but the drive from the city to the airport was very scary indeed, through partially flooded streets and fallen rocks blocking parts of the road. Might have been a tad less scary had the taxi driver not chatted into his phone the whole way! Thankfully we made it and our flight back to Saigon was the first to leave in a couple of days.

    Cheers
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what Jack? I think I was there! Was it Halloween? We got stuck in a massive typhoon. They even closed the beaches. The Sailing Club flooded but we had a blast anyway. I was with three girlfriends so we just drank our way through it! I have NEVER seen rain like it. Amazing!

      Delete
    2. Hey Dani, it was Halloween 2010. We stupidly though we'd take our 7 month old daughter for a beach holiday in Nha Trang for 4 weeks. Was fantastic the first few weeks but then it started to go a bit pear-shaped once the rains set in.

      Obviously with a 7-month old we were very restricted with going out at night. We should have just done what we really wanted and spent that time in Phu Quoc. Our concern was the lack of hospital in case of emergency.

      Next time, we won't make that mistake. Plus our daughter is a lot older now... she turned three today!

      Cheers
      Jack

      Delete
  4. In my opinion, Saigon does show its worse side on rainy days yet it is my favorite season... I feel like making myself some tea and snuggle up on the couch reading my favorite book in the afternoon whilst it's raining outside. You sure make me miss my Saigon even more :(
    Your children are adorable though they seem awfully familiar to me, I've probably encountered them once or twice while picking my siblings up from BIS/ISHCMC.
    Lovely photos on your blog, I've always wondered about the foreigners' perspective of HCMC :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynn. Thanks for reading! You have left Saigon? My time is running out and I'm slightly petrified. You know what I sometimes do when it rains? Crank up the aircon, grab a blanket, put on the Australia network and pretend I am back in a Melbourne winter. I guess I need to be careful what I wish for!

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much Dani for obliging! I'm used to bunkering down in a crappy season, as I live in one of central Canada's coldest cities! We have -35 centigrade for 6 months. I think I'm ready for the inconvenience that the Wet season would bring after reading your post. It was nice to hear what it's like in D3, and it will probably be similar in Go Vap, where we will be moving next year. I can't wait for our move to Saigon! I have learned so much from reading your blog that when I visited Vietnam in Dec/Jan, it all felt very familiar. Thanks again!

    Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a terrific blog and I will miss living in Saigon vicariously through it. Well done, Dani!

    Cheers
    Jack

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. It will be published after moderation.