Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Moggysmekongmadness

All content on this blog remain the property of moggysmekongmadness. Where photos are not taken by the author, all efforts to credit photographer have been made. Kindly refrain from reproducing or scrapping.

Monday, June 24, 2013

Putting an end to the Madness


OK.  It kind of goes without saying that this is a difficult post to write.  After three and a half years, it’s time to put an end to the madness.  The Mekong Moggys Madness that is.  As we draw closer and closer to that looming departure date it’s time to wrap things up, put a bow on it and pop it on the cyber shelf in preparation for the next chapter of our lives.

I initially started this blog as a way to share our experiences here in Vietnam with family and friends back home.  I then realized that what I was actually doing was a diary of sorts.  Something that I could keep forever and reminisce over. It has always been more of a photo journal than anything.  I am not a photographer, I’m not a writer or author and I am certainly not a social commentator.  The Madness is just purely a little about what it’s like to live in Vietnam, especially with kids, from my perspective.  Much to my surprise other people seemed to find it useful as well so with that in mind I added a few things that might be helpful for anyone coming to visit or thinking of living here.

The last few weeks have been akin to ripping a band-aid off 1 millimeter  at a time.  I’m going to try not to fill this final post with clichés but it’s been a fascinating transition for me personally, re-training myself for the “real” world.  I am notoriously awful at goodbyes.  I try to avoid them at any cost.  I have found myself going out less and less in order to avoid seeing the amazing Vietnamese people I usually interact with every day, so I don’t have to tell them I’m going.  The Banh Mi lady, my Xe Om driver, the old Orange Juice lady.  Instead I find myself slowly reintroducing myself to Australia.  Reading Australian newspapers online, listening to Aussie radio, trolling the Internet for items we will need to buy upon our return.  In essence, I have mentally checked out already.  And you know what?  It’s ok.  I feel ready.  I feel excited.  I am nervous but looking forward to the next step.

Looking back, what an adventure it has been. I’m not going to attempt to sum it up in a paragraph suffice to say that the 4 of us are leaving very different people than the 4 who arrived in early 2010.  Wonderful memories, incredible opportunities and renewed perspectives on life and the people in it.

I want to say a great big thank you to anyone that has taken the time to read my ramblings, especially those who made the extra effort to comment.  You kept me going when I usually suspected I was writing to myself.  To all of our fabulous friends and work colleagues, thank you for making our time here one we will never forget.  Thank you to the most amazing husband for sharing the journey with me and the 2 of the most awesome kids I know for being so incredibly brave, adaptable and trusting when your parents plonked you in strange country and said “right, this is home now”.  I am so proud of you and you set fine examples of what being a global citizen is about.



To Vietnam, what can I say?  Thank you from the bottom of my broken heart.  You have enriched me, frustrated me, overwhelmed me and educated me.  The changes I have seen in you over the last few years have been huge.  Some for the better, some….not so much.  But you are brave and determined and your future is bright.  You will always hold a very special place in my heart.

 Hen Gap Lai.

Thanks to Mark Stennett at Drift Photography for this wicked shot of Nick and I.  Damn this crazy town.  We will miss you so.......








19 comments:

  1. We'll all miss you Dani, but hopefully you will keep blogging to let us know what adventures you, Nick and kids get up to back home.

    And you can always visit us, we'll have the champers waiting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. I'll have to live vicariously through you for a while. Happy trails!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for all good reads! Gonna miss your stories :( Best wishes to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and taking the time to comment. I really do appreciate it. I'm going to miss telling my stories too!

      Delete
  3. bye Dani- again, all the very best to you and your beautiful family- may you keep on enjoying life to the fullest....

    ps make sure you bring some warm clothing home- i'm sure your family have told you about the 2C mornings we've had all this week ;-)


    marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I'm excited for what the future holds. One thing for certain...it holds thermals! X

      Delete
  4. Hi Dan, from a local perspective i felt very touched as reading your blog and for the love you and your family had for this country. Vietnam has been an adventure page in your life book and I hope will much enjoy reading the upcoming pages. All the best. Hugs...hugs..hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dan, from a local perspective i am very touched as reading you blog and feel the love that you and your family had for this country within three and half years living here. Vietnam is one of many adventure pages in your life book and I wish you will much enjoy the upcoming pages in Melbourne. All the best....hugs..hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks An!
    The best part about this city is the wonderful people that live in it! Thank you for sharing it with us. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all good reads! It's very interesting. I will frequent your blog, wish you much luck.



    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks heaps, Dani. Have loved your blog, but am a tad disapponted... how am I going to live vicariously in Vietnam now?

    All the very best for the future.

    Cheers
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Dani! It has been wonderful reading your blog front to back. Will definitly miss it! Happy trails to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to read your next adventure but yes, I'll surely miss all your updates! The Vietnam Expat Blogosphere will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have enjoyed popping in from time to time to catch up on you and your family's adventures. Although I knew you were moving on it didn't really hit until I dropped in to read your last post :-( Good luck and all the best back in Australia!!! Oh...and thank Nick for his blogs about his motorcycle trip in the north....it was those blogs that convinced my son and I to plan the same trip :-)

    Darcy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darcy! I passed your comments on to Nick. He was really happy for you. Have you done it yet? Would love to hear how it all went! Happy and safe travels. Dani

      Delete
  12. Wonderfull fotos in blog, greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your great blog and to your husbands help with my next Viet Nam trip to Ha Giang. In 10 days I'll be taking off to do a similar trip. Very interesting perspective on a wonderful country.

    drifter1dc vnfromadistance@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Dani, I have just found your blog and I am after some information regarding Vietnam is there an email address that I could contact you on? Just a quick run down I am wanting to know about Long tan Service and the weather I am wanting to bring my 77 year old grandparents (who my grandfather is a Vietnam vet) for the service next year. and also the weather in other parts of Vietnam.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You made it great so far - i enjoyed reading your post about Mekong and i appreciate when you write about Vietnam as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. It will be published after moderation.