Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Moggysmekongmadness

All content on this blog remain the property of moggysmekongmadness. Where photos are not taken by the author, all efforts to credit photographer have been made. Kindly refrain from reproducing or scrapping.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Breakfast on Wheels

It's no secret that I am a big fan of Pho for breakfast.  There is however, more to a street breakfast that the ubiquitous bowl of noodles.  Sometimes it just not cut it and you need something else.  Enter, my favourite "meals on wheels" lady.
She stations herself just outside the War Museum.  As far as I can tell she is there most mornings.  This is what I usually get.  Firstly she breaks two eggs into her sizzling little fry pan and breaks the yolks.

While they sizzle away she chooses a nice warm baguette from under the trolley.

Up to you to choose your filling.  I start with some fresh coriander (cilantro) and fresh chilli.

She's not shy with the chilli but it is a great heart starter in the morning.

You can stuff it with these awesome looking meatballs but I have other things in mind.  Maybe next time.

There is a selection of cold meats but I usually give these a miss as the egg is filling enough.

The baguettes stay warm in this little cupboard which has coals lit underneath.  They are all crunchy on the outside and white and fluffy on the inside.

You can just see in the right top corner a big bowl of home made pate.  I get her to smother a big dollop of that on the bread then in goes the egg.

A bit more coriander then a brown sauce which is some sort of soy mixture I think.

Pop it in the take away bag and there you have it.  My Banh Mi breakfast.  And what does this delicacy set me back I hear you ask.  10,000VND which is about 50 cents.  Hard to beat that for an amazing breakfast!

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! Wished they had this type of cart here in Melbourne! Thanks for your blog, really enjoying following your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, this is one of the things I miss the most about Vietnam! The bread itself is also delicious, so airy and crispy, I need to visit again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. It will be published after moderation.