Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Moggysmekongmadness

All content on this blog remain the property of moggysmekongmadness. Where photos are not taken by the author, all efforts to credit photographer have been made. Kindly refrain from reproducing or scrapping.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Conspiracy Theory

Ok, call me paranoid but I have a theory.

In a nutshell, shopping over here is generally a pain in the ass.  Bartering and haggling is fine when you are on holidays but quickly become a real drag, and a huge time waster.  You never know in the end if you have successfully negotiated a good price or have been robbed blind (again!)  I know, I know, if you think it is a good price for what you get then it is a bargain, but I HATE getting ripped off. Whenever I enter the house with a new purchase without doubt the first question I am asked by Quyen and Lena is, "How much did you pay?"  Invariably, Lena always then says, "you paid too much".  Luckily, I can just smile at her and tell her to go and vacuum the floor.  Seriously, perhaps I should take her with me considering according to her I get ripped every time!  Usually I can tell from the vendors face if I have done ok.  If they are looking rather annoyed and won't smile at me then I think I have done an ok job.  Ben Tanh market is notorious for fleecing tourists (and I'm sure locals) alike.  I usually start at 1/3 of their asking price and am lucky if I pay half.  I will go up in price only twice and then just repeat and repeat it, all the while smiling of course.  I find it also helps to have the money in your hand...it's just too tempting for them.  Anyway, back to my conspiracy theory.  I reckon all the vendors are in on it.  They put your purchase in different coloured bags according to the type of purchaser you are ie: sucker or hard bargainer.  How else can you explain the picture I took of the bags below.  It all makes sense!  Sort of.  I guess it is good for them to know a sucker as they can automatically up the price.  My problem is, I have not figured out what coloured bag means what!  Am I a sucker or a good bargainer?  Perhaps I should follow "Merv and Pearl" from Florida around and see what colour bag they get?  Better still, my green Woolworths bags have been making an appearance lately....that'll scew 'em!

Evidence!!!!!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It will be published after moderation.